Saturday, May 30, 2009

An Interesting Way to Look At Statistics

The Richest 1%
If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, the world would look something like the following:
There would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans
52 would be female
48 would be male
70 would be non-white
30 would be white
70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian
89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual
6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth
All 6 would be from the United States.
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death;
1 would be near birth
1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education
1 would own a computer
You own a computer or at the very least have consistent access to one.
You are among the world's wealthiest 1%
With all of the bills and the stress, life doesn't feel that way does it?
Maybe that's just because you don't know how blessed you are.Wake Up!

6 comments:

Seane-Anna said...

An interesting read indeed. I especially like that the 6 people who own 59% of the wealth are ALL Americans. Thank God I'm an American!

Linda said...

Thanks for visiting, Seane-Anna! Come back again.

I'm glad I'm an American too!

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic post Linda. I wonder what that makes me. My household has 5 computers. Two Mac's, one Dell PC and two laptops.....I must be really rich. But on the brighter side, the two mac's being mine, I don't feel rich, but I feel so blessed to be in this great country.

Seane-Anna said...

You're welcome, Linda! I'll be back and I've added you to my blogroll. Cheers!

Linda said...

Hey, Elwoodin,
Thanks for the compliment. I wish I could say I did the research all by myself, but, alas, I just copied and pasted.

We also have more than one computer, a little $ in the bank, an almost brand new vehicle that we don't owe anything on, enough to eat (probably way too much) and a roof over our heads.

We also, are proud to be Americans, and blessed to live here.

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

This is an amazing piece. Really makes one think.