Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dad! My Hubby, My Sons

What Makes A Dad
God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad
Author is unknown

My Father

W hen I was: Four years old: My daddy can do anything.
W hen I was: Five years old: My daddy knows a whole lot.
W hen I was: Six years old: My dad is smarter than your dad.
W hen I was: Eight years old: My dad doesn't know exactly everything.
W hen I was: 10 years old: In the olden days, when my dad grew up, things were sure
different.
W hen I was: 12 years old: Oh, well, naturally, Dad doesn't know anything about that. He
is too old to remember his childhood.
W hen I was: 14 years old: Don't pay any attention to my dad. He is so old-fashioned.
W hen I was: 21 years old: Him? My Lord, he's hopelessly out of date.
W hen I was: 25 years old: Dad knows about it, but then he should, because he has been
around so long.
W hen I was: 30 years old: Maybe we should ask Dad what he thinks. After all, he's had a
lot of experience.
W hen I was: 35 years old: I'm not doing a single thing until I talk to Dad.
W hen I was: 40 years old: I wonder how Dad would have handled it. He was so wise.
W hen I was: 50 years old: I'd give anything if Dad were here now so I could talk this
over with him. Too bad I didn't appreciate how smart he was. I could have
learned a lot from him.

Ann Landers

7 comments:

Kat said...

So true, so true. ;)

I miss my dad.

Linda said...

Kat, I miss my dad too. I still have my step-dad, but he isn't doing well, and will probably leave us soon.

Vern, I love you, and thank you for being the father you've been, to our 3 children.

Phil, what a father you've turned out to be!

Josh, we admire the man you are to your 3 beautiful daughters, especially in the circumstances that surround you.

Larry, thanks for being such a great step-dad to our Zach!

Lana said...

I miss Daddy, too.

Z said...

Boy, I sure do miss my dad, too.
have a really nice day, everybody, a special day to remember such important men in our lives.xx

Unknown said...

Perfect sentiments for Father's Day, Linda

imbeingheldhostage said...

I've always loved that poem by Ann Landers. I often wonder what advice my dad would be giving me at this stage in my life.

Missy said...

Great post, as always!